MyMichigan Health - Depression Assessment Icon

Take this FREE 5 minute depression assessment designed to pre-screen adults between the ages of 18 and 89 for symptoms of depression.

Take Free Assessment

Mental Health - Office-Based Care 

Office-based care involves regular office visits with a psychiatrist, psychologist, clinical nurse practitioner or other mid-level provider (i.e., licensed clinical social worker and professional counselor). Treatment frequency varies and may include a one-hour therapy session per week. Length of treatment depends on diagnosis.

Psychiatrist or Psychologist: What's the Difference?

A psychiatrist

  • Has graduated from medical school and holds a medical degree, typically an M.D.
  • Completed a residency in psychiatry following medical school
  • Is permitted to prescribe medication
  • Medical authority on medications used for treatment
  • Is not required to personally undergo psychotherapy, although some psychiatrists have had training in psychotherapy

A psychologist

  • Holds a doctorate, which can be a Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy), an Ed.D. (Doctor of Education) or a Psy.D. (Doctor of Psychology)
  • Completes a doctoral dissertation, which is an original work of research, to earn the doctoral degree
  • Is trained to administer and interpret psychological tests
  • Must undergo at least a year of personal psychotherapy as part of training

What is a nurse practitioner?

  • Nurse practitioners (NPs) are registered professional nurses who are prepared, through advanced graduate education and clinical training, to provide a wide range of health care services - including the diagnosis and management of common and complex medical conditions to individuals of all ages
  • Holds a licensure as a registered nurse (R.N.)
  • Is permitted to prescribe medication
  • Holds a graduate-level education (Master's or Doctoral) with preparation in the NP role and at least one specialty
  • Holds National Board certification in neonatal, pediatric, family, women's health, adult, geriatric, psychiatric or acute care

Related Locations

  • MyMichigan Psychiatry
    Kinross Building

    16523 S. Water Tower Drive
    Kincheloe, MI 49788

  • MyMichigan Psychiatry

    3007 N. Saginaw Road
    Midland, MI 48640

988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline

If you or your loved one is in a crisis, dial 988 or chat with Lifeline at

Referral Contact and Insurance Questions

MyMichigan Medical Center Alma
Inpatient Coordinator/Insurance Specialist
(989) 466-3304

Nurse Manager
(989) 466-7266
After Hours: (989) 466-7170 or (989) 466-7171

Partial Hospitalization Program
(989) 466-3253

MyMichigan Medical Center Alpena
Inpatient Care
(989) 356-7258

Outpatient Care
(989) 356-7242

MyMichigan Medical Center Midland
24-Hour Admission Line
(989) 839-3690

Partial Hospitalization Program
(989) 839-3385

Nursing Director
(989) 839-3775