Brainstem Auditory Evoked Response (BAER)
This safe and painless test auditory (hearing) nerve and brain connections. You will relax in a reclined position as a few electrodes are applied to your head. You will then be fitted with earphones through which you will hear a clicking noise. As the noise travels through the various pathways to the brain, tiny electrical signals from the brain will be picked up by the electrodes and sent to a computer that will record and print out the results. These results will be interpreted by a neurologist.
Approximately 60 minutes.
- Shampoo and dry hair without using sprays, gels or oils. No braids or intricate hair designs as they will need to be removed prior to the test.
- Wear a short sleeved shirt or button up shirt and loose pants that can be pulled past your knee.
- Continue taking medications as prescribed by your physician.
- Bring a list of your medications you are taking.
- Arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment.
All neurodiagnostic test results will be interpreted by a neurologist, and results will be sent to your physician. Your physician is responsible for communicating your results to you and helping you understand what they mean. If you have any questions about your test results, please call your doctor.
If you have a MyChart account, we will also send your test results to your account. If you need help accessing your test results in MyChart or would like to request a paper copy, please call MyMichigan's Health Information Department at (989) 839-3319.