Patient Compliments and Complaints

Let Us Know of Your Compliments and Concerns

If you are pleased or dissatisfied with any aspect of your care or your experience with us, we want to hear from you. You may notify us in several ways:

  • Tell your caregiver or a member of the office or department that is providing you the services.
  • Ask to speak to a manager. The manager's name and phone number are prominently displayed in most patient care areas, but you may also ask any staff member to have a manager paged. Or you may use our Maps and Phone directory to find the phone number of the related department and ask to speak to the manager.
  • Contact our Patient Relations Department:
    • Phone (989) 839-3255
      Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
    • Address: 
      Patient Relations
      MyMichigan Health
      4000 Wellness Drive 
      Midland, Michigan 48670
  • Respond to a Patient Survey. Some of our patient care areas hand out comment cards and others may randomly select patients to participate in a phone or email survey following their visit. This is another opportunity to tell us what we are doing well and where we can improve and to recognize specific individuals who made a difference in your care.

Help Us to Help You

When providing us your feedback, please include:

  • The date and time of your visit or experience
  • The location you visited or the manner in which you interacted with us
  • The patient's name and date of birth (if related to a patient visit)
  • Specific details about what we did well or poorly

Please be assured that we will take reasonable precautions to protect the patient's and complainant's identity. However, we do require this information in order to pass on your feedback to the appropriate people and to take the necessary follow-up actions to resolve your concerns.

There is a Grievance Process

If you feel that one or more of your rights has been violated and the above steps have not resolved the matter to your satisfaction, you may ask Patient Relations to initiate the Grievance Process:

  • You will be asked to put your grievance in writing. The Patient Relations staff is available to help you write the grievance.
  • You will be sent a written acknowledgement of receipt of the grievance within seven (7) days.
  • Patient Relations will coordinate an investigation to resolve the grievance, including referral to appropriate internal decision-making bodies and the timely inclusion, if appropriate, of outside agencies such as licensing, accrediting and other regulatory agencies.
  • Efforts will be made to resolve the grievance within thirty (30) days. A letter stating the steps taken, the results of the investigation and the name of the person coordinating the investigation will be sent to you at the conclusion of the investigation.

Other Organizations You May Contact

To file a complaint about a health facility with the state certification agency:

Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
Bureau of Health Systems
Complaint Intake
P.O. Box 30664
Lansing, MI 48909,4601,7-154-89334_63294_72973---,00.html
Phone (800) 882-6006

To file a complaint about a licensed health professional with the licensing and regulation agency:

Michigan Department of Community Health
Bureau of Health Systems
Complaint Intake
P.O. Box 30664
Lansing, MI 48909
Phone (800) 882-6006 

To file a complaint on quality of care or premature discharge:

Phone (888) 524-9900 

To file a complaint with the accreditation agency:

Office of Quality and Patient Safety
The Joint Commission
One Renaissance Boulevard
Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181
Fax (630) 792-5636

Healthcare Facilities Accreditation Program (HFAP)
(MyMichigan Medical Center West Branch Only)
506 North Clark, Suite 301
Chicago, IL 60654
Phone (312) 920-7383

To file a complaint with the U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services:

Secretary of the Department of Health & Human Services
200 Independence Ave., S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20201
Phone (202) 690-7000

How Do I Call a Patient?

For patient privacy, we do not give out direct phone numbers to inpatient rooms. Please call the switchboard numbers below and ask for the patient by full name. Please keep in mind that patients may elect not to receive phone calls. See more ways to stay in touch.


Alpena (989) 356-7000

Clare (989) 802-5000

Gladwin (989) 426-9286

Gratiot (Alma) (989) 463-1101

Midland (989) 839-3000

West Branch (989) 345-3660