Awards & Recognition
We've Been Recognized
When you need medical care, you want confirmation that you are in good hands. The MyMichigan Health family is committed to patient satisfaction, safety, quality and the health of our community. Here are just a few of the recognitions that acknowledge our exceptional work in these areas.
See What Do Patients Really Think?
Quality and Patient Safety
- American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Magnet Recognition Program® – In April 2022, MyMichigan Medical Center Midland was recognized as the first Medical Center in the region to achieve Magnet recognition as a reflection of its nursing professionalism, teamwork and superiority in patient care. Considered the gold standard of nursing excellence, The American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Magnet Recognition Program® distinguishes organizations across the globe that meet rigorous standards for nursing excellence. There are currently 580 Magnet recognized hospitals worldwide and, of those, only 14 are in Michigan.
- Healogics® President’s Circle Award – In April 2022, the Wound Treatment Center at MyMichigan Medical Center Alpena was recognized for excellence in patient satisfaction, operations and clinical outcomes. The Center received the President’s Circle award from Healogics®, the nation's largest provider of advanced wound care services.
- Professional Research Consultants, Inc., Top Performer, 5-Star Performer Awards – In April 2022, physicians, advanced practice providers and departments at MyMichigan Health were recently recognized by national health care research leader Professional Research Consultants, Inc. (PRC), as Top Performers and 5-Star Performers. MyMichigan Emergency Departments in Alma, Alpena, Clare, Gladwin, Midland, Mt. Pleasant and West Branch also received 5-Star Performer Awards. PRC Excellence in Healthcare Awards recognize organizations and individuals who achieve excellence throughout the year by improving patient experiences, health care employee engagement and/or physician alignment and engagement based on surveys of their patients, employees and physicians.
- Economic Alliance for Michigan Hospital Patient Safety Award – In March 2022, MyMichigan Medical Center Midland received the highest patient safety award from the Economic Alliance for Michigan (EAM), a nonprofit group comprised of Michigan’s largest employers and unions. The awards recognize hospitals in Michigan that consistently achieve high performance marks and improvements in patient safety and quality of care. MyMichigan Medical Center Midland is one of 13 hospitals in Michigan who earned an EAM Hospital Patient Safety Award, a decrease from 18 recipients the previous year.
- National Rural Health Association Top 20 Rural and Community Hospitals – In March 2022, MyMichigan Medical Center Alpena was named one of the 2022 Top 20 Rural and Community Hospitals in the United States by the National Rural Health Association (NRHA). This award comes as part of an evaluation by the Chartis Center for Rural Health. The hospitals are identified using the Chartis Rural Hospital Performance INDEX and are based on eight indices: inpatient market share, outpatient market share, quality, outcomes, patient perspective, cost, charge, and financial efficiency. The Medical Center also received this award in February 2018 and 2017.
- Chartis Top 100 Rural & Community Hospital Award –In February 2022, MyMichigan Medical Center Alpena and MyMichigan Medical Center Sault were recognized as a 2022 Top 100 Rural & Community Hospital. Compiled by The Chartis Center for Rural Health, this annual recognition program honors outstanding performance among the nation’s rural hospitals based on the results of the Chartis Rural Hospital Performance INDEX™. The annual program honors outstanding performance among the nation’s rural hospitals based on the results of the Hospital Strength INDEX®. Based on public data and utilizing 36 independent indicators, the INDEX assesses rural hospitals across eight pillars of performance, including market share, quality, outcomes, patient perspective, cost, charge, and financial efficiency. The INDEX framework is widely used across the nation by independent rural hospitals, health systems with rural footprints and state offices of rural health, which provide access to INDEX analytics through grant-funded initiatives. Over the course of the last 11 years, the INDEX has grown to become the industry’s most comprehensive and objective assessment of rural hospital performance. MyMichigan Medical Center Alpena also received the award in March 2021
- Joy in Medicine™ Health System Recognition – In October 2021, MyMichigan Health was one of 44 health systems across the country to be honored by the American Medical Association (AMA) 2021 Joy in Medicine™ Health System Recognition Program. The AMA distinction recognizes health systems with a demonstrated commitment to preserving the wellbeing of health care team members by engaging in proven efforts to combat work-related stress and burnout. MyMichigan was recognized at the bronze level.
- CHIME HealthCare’s Most Wired – In October 2021, MyMichigan Health earned two honors by the College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME) HealthCare’s Most Wired survey. MyMichigan received the 2021 Most Wired Certified Level 7 Acute Award, as well as the 2021 Most Wired Certified Level 7 Ambulatory Award. The CHIME Digital Health Most Wired program conducts an annual survey to assess how effectively healthcare organizations apply core and advanced technologies into their clinical and business programs to improve health and care in their communities. This is the third year in a row MyMichigan has been recognized by CHIME.
- MHA Ludwig Community Benefit Award – In June 2021, MyMichigan Health received the Michigan Health & Hospital Association (MHA) Ludwig Community Benefit Award which is presented to member organizations integrally involved in collaborative programs to improve the health and well-being of area residents. MyMichigan received the award for its “Bridge to Belonging” program developed to address loneliness in the aging population and reduce its effect on morbidity, mortality and healthcare costs.
- 2021 Michigan Performance Excellence Award – In April 2021, Michigan Performance Excellence (MIPEx) awarded MyMichigan Health the 2021 Michigan Performance Excellence Award, the state’s highest honor for organizations that have demonstrated outstanding performance, leadership, and operational excellence. As a Michigan Performance Excellence Award recipient, MyMichigan Health is now eligible to apply to the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award Program.
- Economic Alliance for Michigan Improvement Award – In March 2021, MyMichigan Medical Center – Alpena was one of four hospitals in Michigan to receive the Improvement Award by the Economic Alliance for Michigan (EAM). The EAM, a non-profit group comprised of Michigan’s largest employers and unions, has hosted the EAM Hospital Patient Safety Awards for six years in a row. Hospitals receiving the Improvement Award participated in the annual Leapfrog Group survey and demonstrated improvement in letter grades for four consecutive grading terms with Hospital Safety Grade (Spring 2019, Fall 2019, Spring 2020, Fall 2020).
- Beacon Award for Excellence – In January 2021, The Surgical Intensive Care Unit (SICU) of MyMichigan Medical Center – Midland received the silver-level Beacon Award for Excellence from the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN). The award recognizes unit caregivers who successfully improve patient outcomes and align practices with AACN’s six Healthy Work Environment Standards. Units that achieve this three-year, three-level award with a gold, silver or bronze designation meet national criteria consistent with Magnet® Recognition, the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award and the National Quality Healthcare Award.
- Primary Stroke Center Certification – In November 2020, MyMichigan Medical Center – Midland was awarded the Primary Stroke Center Certification by HFAP, the nation’s original independent, accreditation program. This certification confirms that the program is providing high quality care as determined by an independent, external process of evaluation. Originally established in 1945, HFAP is the original healthcare accreditation program in the United States. HFAP holds deeming authority from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and also is recognized by state governments and regulatory bodies, and insurers. HFAP is a nationally recognized brand of Accreditation Commission for Health Care (ACHC).
- Professional Research Consultants, Inc., Performer Award – In June 2020, MyMichigan Health's corporate division was recognized for patient experience excellence by national health care research leader Professional Research Consultants, Inc. (PRC). MyMichigan Medical Centers in Alpena, Clare, Gladwin, Gratiot, Midland, Mt. Pleasant and West Branch, as well as MyMichigan Physicians Group, also received awards from PRC. The PRC Excellence in Healthcare Awards recognize organizations and individuals who achieve excellence throughout the year by improving patient experiences, health care employee engagement and/or physician alignment and engagement based on surveys of their patients, employees and physicians.
- Chartis Center for Rural Health/iVantage Health Analytics’ Performance Awards – In December 2019, MyMichigan Health Medical Centers in Alpena, Gladwin and Gratiot were recognized by The Chartis Center of Rural Health and the National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health (NOSORH) with the 2019 Performance Award in Outcomes. MyMichigan Medical Center in Gladwin was also recognized with a 2019 Performance Award in Patient Perspective. Based on the results of the Hospital Strength INDEX from iVantage Health Analytics, the Performance Leadership Awards reflect top quartile performance among all rural hospitals in the United States in either Quality, Outcomes or Patient Perspective.
- U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals in Michigan – In August 2019, MyMichigan Medical Center – Midland was named one of the top Best Hospitals in Michigan by U.S. News & World Report. The Medical Center in Midland was the only hospital in the Great Lakes Bay Region to make the list. U.S. News and World also ranks hospitals in specialty categories. The Medical Center in Midland was named as high performing in heart failure, hip and knee replacement. MyMichigan Medical Center – West Branch was named for high performance ranking in COPD. MyMichigan Health is affiliated with Michigan Medicine, which ranked among the top hospitals in the nation. The University of Michigan's Hospitals were ranked number 11 in the nation, putting it on the honor roll, and number one in Michigan.
- IBM Watson Health™ Top Quintile for Balanced Performance – For the third year in a row, MyMichigan Health was ranked in the top 20 percent (quintile) for balanced performance among small health systems nationwide by IBM Watson Health™. This included MyMichigan being named one of the nation’s 15 Top Health Systems® by Truven Health Analytics™ (now IBM Watson Health) in 2016, which also landed the health system in the top 20 percent.
- Governor’s Award of Excellence – In May 2019, MyMichigan Medical Centers in Alpena, Clare, Gladwin, Gratiot and Midland were recognized with Michigan's Quality Improvement Organization (MPRO)’s 2019 Governor’s Award of Excellence awards. MyMichigan Medical Centers in Alpena and Midland received the 2019 Governor’s Awards for Outstanding Achievement in Effective Reporting and Measurement: Outpatient Quality Reporting Acute Care Hospitals, as well as Hospital Value-based Purchasing Acute Care Hospitals; MyMichigan Medical Center – Gratiot and MyMichigan Medical Center – Clare received the 2019 Governor’s Award for Outstanding Achievement in Effective Reporting and Measurement: Outpatient Quality Reporting Acute Care Hospitals; and MyMichigan Medical Center – Gladwin received the 2019 Governor’s Award for Outstanding Achievement in Effective Reporting and Measurement: Critical Access Hospitals.
- Top 100 Critical Access Hospitals – In February 2019, MyMichigan Medical Center - Gladwin was named one of the Top 100 Critical Access Hospitals in the United States by The Chartis Center for Rural Health. Regarded as one of the industry’s most significant designations of performance excellence, the annual Top 100 Critical Access Hospitals award is based upon the results of the Hospital Strength INDEX® from iVantage Health Analytics.
- Michigan Health Improvement Alliance, Inc. (MiHIA) 2018 Community Health Excellence Award – In December 2018, Michigan Health Improvement Alliance, Inc. (MiHIA) awarded MyMichigan Health with the Community Health Excellence Award for outstanding contributions towards improving the health status of the community in a 14-county region.
- Becker's Hospital Review 150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare – In April 2018, MyMichigan Health was named to the Becker’s Hospital Review “150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare 2018” list. The honor highlights hospitals, health systems and health care companies that promote diversity within the workforce, employee engagement and professional growth. MyMichigan’s commitment to employees includes such programs or incentives as pet insurance, counseling, tutoring and child care referrals. Along with offering employees comprehensive benefits, MyMichigan also has an ergonomic evaluation survey to ensure employees' work stations promote proper body mechanics. The health system also promotes healthy lifestyles with gym membership and Weight Watchers incentives at the new year.
- Becker’s Hospital Review 100 Great Community Hospitals – In June 2017, MyMichigan Medical Center – Alpena was named to the Becker's Hospital Review 2017 list of 100 Great Community Hospitals. This was the first time the Medical Center received this recognition. The award recognizes hospitals for quality, patient satisfaction and overall excellence. The hospitals honored play a key role in their communities as the centerpiece for health care in many occasions. Several of the hospitals have rolled out unique population health initiatives over the past few years and are among the highest employers in their region.
- Blue Distinction Center+SM for Cardiac Care – In 2017 and 2013, MyMichigan Medical Center – Midland was designated a Blue Distinction Center+SM for Cardiac Care, part of the Blue Distinction Specialty Care program. Blue Distinction Centers are nationally designated health care facilities shown to deliver improved patient safety and better health outcomes, based on objective measures that were developed with input from the medical community.
- 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals – In November 2016, MyMichigan Medical Center – Midland was named as one of the 2017 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals award winners by Truven Health AnalyticsTM, and ranks among the best in the country for key measures of cardiovascular care. Specifically, this award recognizes MyMichigan’s outstanding performance in inpatient and extended outcomes, clinical processes, efficiency, and cost for the most common cardiovascular conditions, heart attack and heart failure, and interventions (PCI and CABG). MyMichigan Medical Center-Midland was one of only two hospitals in the state of Michigan to receive this national recognition. Promotion for these fall awards is underway.
- Best and Brightest in Wellness® – In October 2016, MyMichigan Health was named one of 101 companies in the state to receive the Best and Brightest in Wellness® award. The award program honors companies and organizations that recognize and celebrate quality and excellence in health and wellness. The Best and Brightest in Wellness® winners were evaluated by using an assessment, created and administered by SynBella, the nation’s leading wellness provider. The Best and Brightest program provides yearlong education, benchmarking, assessment tools and interaction amongst the best employers throughout Michigan.
- 15 Top Health Systems® – In April 2016, MyMichigan Health was named one of the nation’s 15 Top Health Systems® by Truven Health Analytics™. Truven Health Analytics is a leading provider of healthcare data and analytics solutions and services that was recently acquired by IBM. MyMichigan Health was one of only two health systems in Michigan to earn the 15 Top Health Systems distinction. The 2016 15 Top Health Systems study evaluated 338 health systems and 2,912 member hospitals to identify the 15 U.S. health systems with the highest overall achievement on a balanced scorecard. The scorecard is based on the 100 Top Hospitals® national balanced scorecard methodologies and focuses on five performance domains: inpatient outcomes, process of care, extended outcomes, efficiency and patient experience. The study has been conducted annually for the past eight years. This is the first time MyMichigan Health has been recognized for this achievement.
- 100 Top Hospitals – In February 2016, MyMichigan Medical Center – Midland was named one of the nation’s 2016 100 Top Hospitals® by Truven Health Analytics™, a leading provider of data-driven analytics and solutions to improve the cost and quality of healthcare. The Medical Center was also one of a select few to earn the 2016 100 Top Hospital’s Everest® Award. This award honors hospitals that have achieved both the highest current performance and the fastest long-term improvement over five years.
- National Quality Measures for Breast Centers – In 2016, MyMichigan Medical Center – Midland’s Center for Women’s Health was recognized as a Certified Participant of the National Quality Measures for Breast Centers Program (NQMBC™). This distinguished honor represents a commitment by the Center for Women’s Health to provide the highest level of quality breast health care to patients in their community.
- Healogics, Inc., Excellence, President's, Distinction Awards – In 2016, the Wound Treatment Center at MyMichigan Medical Center - Midland received a 2016 Center of Excellence Award from Healogics, Inc., the nation's largest provider of advanced wound care services. In addition, the Center received a President's Circle Award for Outstanding Performance. The Wound Treatment Center in Midland specializes in treating non-healing wounds and maintained outstanding clinical outcomes that exceeded national benchmarks for 24 consecutive months. This included patient satisfaction of 94 percent, a wound healing rate of 95 percent and a median time to heal of 28 days. Out of 334 Centers eligible for Center of Excellence in 2016, only 169 Centers achieved this benchmark. In addition, the Wound Treatment Center at MyMichigan Medical Center - Gratiot received a 2016 Center of Distinction Award from Healogics. The Wound Treatment Center in Alma maintained outstanding clinical outcomes that exceeded national benchmarks for 12 consecutive months. This included patient satisfaction of 94 percent, a wound healing rate of 95 percent and a median time to heal of 28 days. Out of 630 Centers eligible for Center of Distinction in 2016, only 334 achieved this benchmark.
- Blue Distinction+ SM for Knee and Hip Procedures – MyMichigan Medical Center – Midland was named a designated Blue Distinction Center+ for Knee and Hip Replacement by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network in 2014, 2016 and 2017. Facilities receiving this national designation demonstrate expertise in delivering quality specialty care, with robust quality measures for improved patient health and safety, as well as new cost-efficiency measures.
- The Joint Commission: Top Performer on Key Quality Measures Recognition – MyMichigan Medical Centers in Clare and Gladwin were recognized as a 2014 Top Performer on Key Quality Measures® by The Joint Commission, the leading accreditor of health care organizations in the United States. The Medical Center in Clare has received this distinction two years in a row and the Medical Center in Gladwin four years in a row.
- Rural Health Quality Improvement Award – In 2012, MyMichigan Medical Center – Gladwin was recognized for quality improvement by the Michigan Center for Rural Health. This was the fourth year in a row, the Medical Center received this honor.
Michigan Medicine Honors & Awards
Our partner, Michigan Medicine, the health care division of the University of Michigan, is known nationally and around the world for excellence in patient care, education and research.
Learn more about the awards and honors of Michigan Medicine.